Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Preschool

Since Charlie seems to have a hard time with new situations (see Change and Progress), I'm starting to worry about him going off to kindergarten next year. In Cheyenne they have all-day kindergarten. That is a LONG day for a 5-year old! I thought maybe I'd sign him up for preschool this fall as a stepping-stone for kindergarten so he can get used to going to "school" and being in a learning environment outside of our home. I've heard great things about a preschool called Discovery Unlimited here in town. The director of the preschool has been doing it for over 20 years and I have friends who have sent their kids there. People have signed their kids up a year ahead of time just to get a spot.

During the summer, she has drop-in days and she said we were welcome to go to see how Charlie would like it. So we went to check it out yesterday. Charlie actually did fine. I stayed for a few minutes and then left when he was occupied. Charlie was a little sad when he noticed I was gone but the director was able to distract him with a different activity. I was pleased that when I asked him if he wanted to go back he said "yes".

Well, now I'm not sure what to do! Either Charlie has gotten better with dealing with a new situation or the preschool was set-up so well that kids just feel comfortable being there. On the one hand I don't want send him to preschool if I don't have to, however I also want him to have opportunities to learn and develop skills academically and socially.

What do you think? I'd be interested to hear other moms' experiences with sending kids to preschool. Was it a positive experience? What were the benefits and drawbacks?

2 comments:

Lynette said...

I hear you about preschool. I'm actually going to do a home based co-op preschool with other mothers in my ward. Riley has 2 years till school because of his late birthday. If this is a program that you could withdraw him at any time, I would go ahead with your plans (it sounds like he really enjoyed) and if you decide to take him out in the future, you can. Or try him the second half of the year--closer to when he is going to start school?

Jewels said...

Linda,
I realized on my facebook post I didn't really say what I did. I kept David home and a fraction of the money we would have paid for preschool we bought educational games, toys and books. The great thing is now I have those things for the other kids as well. We signed up for a class and went to reading time at the library. Julianna I did a mom's preschool with some sisters from church and that was great for her and Jensen is doing a playday one day a week with kids from church and I am keeping him home. Each of my kids has been different but it was what was right for them!