Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Money, money, money ...

There's no way to ignore what's going on out there. We hear about it in the news every single day. The credit crisis, the Wall Street Bailout, the Big Three Bailout, the Bernie Madoff ponzi scheme gone wrong, layoffs, bankruptcies, etc., etc... Okay, I don't want to be negative because there's still a lot of good things happening but these are sure rough times for so many people.

I've been keeping up on this stuff because I keep track of our family finances and get a weird sense of satisfaction from learning more about investing and personal finance. Last year, Dan and I worked on getting our affairs in order, mainly so the kids are taken care of in case anything happens to us. It's morbid, I know, but it's also preparing for the unknown. So, I used Suze Orman's Will & Trust Kit to set up a trust and other documents. I've read several of her books and have found her advice to be very helpful.

Now Suze Orman has a new book out called Suze Orman's 2009 Action Planner, which can be downloaded for free from Oprah.com. It's only free until January 15th. I love Suze's advice because it's always practical and easy to understand.

So, even though it's kind of crazy and scary out there, I feel like we do have some control because we're trying to do the right things like tithing, savings, living within our means, and... well, I'd like to say budgeting but that's one we're still working on. It just makes me feel grateful to know that even though money is important and necessary, it's not the most important thing in our lives.

1 comment:

Company EIGHT said...

Good for you Linda. Just getting a plan, and putting into place is half the battle. We are working on that as well---