Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Proud to be American

I couldn't help feeling touched when watching the Inaugural Ceremony on TV yesterday. Having grown up right outside of DC, the Capitol and other great buildings and monuments on the National Mall are familiar landmarks. It was as if I was actually there to witness this amazing moment in history.

President Obama's speech was a somber reminder of the dire problems we do face but it was also a call to every citizen to do his part to solve them. Being a mother, I was especially struck by his mention of nurturing a child. I thought to myself that that's what I do every single day. I'm glad he included such an important work in the list of things we can do to help our country move forward.

Much has been said about the historic significance of an African-American becoming the president of the United States. I think it does merit recognition as does the fact that we were able to have a peaceful transfer of power. I am so grateful to be an American and to be blessed to live in this wonderful place. While we do have challenges, we also have so much. It reminds me of the scripture that says, "where much is given, much is required."

1 comment:

one busy mom said...

I couldn't agree more with your comments. It was an awesome day!