Thursday, February 5, 2009

Pulled Over

I bet you've never had this happen to you before:

A few weeks ago, I was returning home from the library with my kids. I took a left turn with a cop car behind me. It wasn't a big deal because I'm usually a good driver and I "try" not to speed (although my husband tells me I do). Anyway, I wasn't speeding so when I looked in the rearview mirror a few minutes later and the cruiser's lights were flashing I wondered to myself why he was still behind me when I was obeying all traffic laws. Then, I realized that he was trying to pull me over!! So, a couple blocks later, I was able to safely pull over and remained calm.

He asked me if I'd realized that my registration has been expired since August. Shock and disbelief was all over my face. I said really? I had no idea. He asked to see my registration. Fortunately, I had the receipt from the last time I'd renewed my registration (in 2007) and the receipt said it did indeed expire in 08/2008. Uh-oh. I told him that I hadn't seen any renewal notices in the mail or I'd have taken care of it right away. Then, I told him that they must have sent it to my old address and it must not have gotten forwarded. He asked for my license which I had to get out of the purse which was in the trunk. He also asked to see proof of insurance - which was in the glove compartment. Did I seem disorganized or what?

He went back to his car to check the info and I sat in the car waiting. I wondered why it was taking him so long and I knew he was probably writing a ticket. Great! He came back and told me that my registration was expired but that he wasn't going to cite me for that if I'd promise to call the county treasurer (who does the registration) and take care of it. Then, he showed me a ticket and said that however, I didn't have current proof of insurance so that's what the ticket was for. But, he said that I could get the ticket (and $400 fee) waived if I brought current proof of insurance information to the county court or to the police department.

Well, needless to say, I was relieved that he was actually nice about my registration because he could've given me a ticket for that and I couldn't argue with it. But, instead he gave me the ticket for the insurance which I could easily get out of because AT LEAST that was in order. Whew!! I took care of the ticket later that day because I did not want to have that hanging over my head.

5 comments:

Stephanie Lowe said...

I'm so glad it was something you could get out of! I never seem to be that lucky...

Jewels said...

you are certainly a Lucky Duck we know a certain Mrs. Soliz that was arrested for not having her registration in order!!!

one busy mom said...

I feel your pain. This has happened to me (for speeding, though) more than I care to admit. What can I say... I really hate being late!

eight happy "hardts" said...

Oh, the dreaded lights flashing behind you! What a relief that he was nice and you can take care of the ticket. I really don't like paying for things like that! I had a friend that said "getting a ticket is like taking money and flushing it down the toilet". Sorry if that is too disgusting. You are a lucky one!

Company EIGHT said...

I'm so glad you were able to take care of it, and not have to pay for a ticket! I hate spending money on them!